Saturday, June 15, 2013

In Search of a Love Story

In Search of a Love Story
by Rachel Schurig
Published by Create Space
240 pages
Genre: chick lit
Thanks to NetGalley for the preview
2 / 5


When you want to learn how to do something, you consult experts, right? That's the advice that Emily's friends give her when they diagnose her as being clinically unromantic. She needs to immerse herself in romance novels and find herself a man.

Emily gamely - albeit a tad reluctantly - agrees. She reads books and watches chick flicks, and along the way attempts to apply what she learned to her love life. In a "meet cute" sort of set up, she runs into Greg, a handsome, successful prospect who adores her. Emily's friends think SCORE, but part of Emily wonders. Is he the one? Were the novels and movies right? Then there is her friend Elliott, who seems quite unimpressed with Greg. What's up with him?

If you already know how this ends, bravo. Then again, the ending is trumped so loudly and clearly as to render the reading of the novel fairly useless. I've read lots of books that give away their endings early on, but they make up for it by being entertaining, by having characters I like and wish I could get to know.

That is not the case here.

Faithful readers, I was bored. Bored, I tell you. There is so little about this book to recommend that I'm hard pressed to justify the two stars. It's cute, I suppose, and the premise is also cute. But it's just so transparent. That's what turns me off more than anything. There is no mystery or pull to keep reading.

If you want a mindless book with a cute little gimmick, then you could do worse than this. I guess I just wanted more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your book down for two minutes and write me. Pretty please!
I appreciate you taking the time to visit the blog and comment.