Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bandwith

Crikey.

It takes a lot for me to quit on a book. A LOT. I read possibly the worst book ever written, Vapor, and finished it. While some may have liked that one, I struggled to enjoy the story of a man who turns into a cloud, and the woman who loves him. 

For real.

So if I can last through that one, I can handle anything, right?

Wrong.

I received an ARC of Bandwith, a new book by Angus Morrison. I am all about new authors and bringing them attention. Unfortunately, I can't recommend this book.

In the interest of full disclosure, I only made it to page 47. I tried, faithful readers, heaven knows I tried. I wanted to be intrigued by the story of a guy who used to work for the CIA but now is a speech writer/adivsor for the sixth wealthiest man in the world. So there's that. Then there is the other story line about a kid in Holland who figures out how to use water as a conductor of sorts for things such as telephone calls, and transmitting video and other data. 

I think this book is a mystery, and I think it's supposed to be kind of Bourne Identity-ish in that you jump from country to country. I visited restaurants, saw a dead body in a bathtub (electrocution - not pretty, and you learn quite a bit about the process) and hopped from North America to Europe. Fun times.

Alas, I can't tell you much about this book, because I just could not get past page 47. And it was a chore to get to that point.

Considering there are a lot of people who gave Vapor rousing reviews (although I suspect that they did so just to ensure that they are not the only ones who wasted money on it), I'm sure some people will like Bandwith. I'm just not one of them. I didn't care about Hayden or the billionaire or anyone else. 

I dislike giving bad reviews to books, because I love books. But in this case, well, I've gotta do what I've gotta do.

 (just because I can't bear to totally trash the thing)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Put your book down for two minutes and write me. Pretty please!
I appreciate you taking the time to visit the blog and comment.